Sunday, January 31, 2010

Paperwork and my job

The last couple of days I have been busy at my desk doing paperwork of various sorts. T4 slips have to be done by the end of February, and I have a good start on them. (T4s are a government type of slip that has to be collated on each employee for earnings and deductions). Also I still have to add up some inventory numbers.

I've been moving the paperwork from the shop office to my "home office", aka my sewing room-- partly because I live in a small town outside of the city, and this saves nearly an hour and 1/2 of driving per day. Also, partly because it is easier to concentrate here.
I'm also working on a poster for at the store that has photos on it, and developing a form to keep track of fabric purchases and delivery times... seems like I'm always trying to think of a better way to do this.


It seems to me that every so often I feel the need to justify that I actually do work, since I get the feeling from certain people, (including my dh), that I must just sit at home on the sofa reading and eating chocolates.

One of the reasons that I thought this blog would be interesting was that often, when I'm in the shop, someone comes in and during the conversation, I often hear the words, "I haven't seen you for so long! you never seem to be here when I come in." Alas, that is so often the case. I do spend time at the shop, but not nearly as much as I used to, especially the first few years when I was there All The Time.
So, I thought that through this blog I could post about quilting and projects, and things that are happening around the shop so that if someone came to read it, it would be sort of like a mini-visit. We'll see how it goes.

So far, I have no idea if any of my "customer/ friends" have even found the blog. But, I'm having a great time with it! I had no idea of the number and variety of blogs there are! I've been amazed at how many interesting people there are who so generously share their thoughts, ideas and experiences. It has been great fun "blog-surfing", following links.... And I am "thrilled" that it has been found by 5 people who have taken the time to read the postings as "followers"... thank you!!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Michelle,

    Just dropping you a note to let you know that I have been reading your blog. I have been finding that when I go on the computer, I eventually end up here to see what you have been up to. Keep it up.

    Yvette GUTENBERG
    Kindersley, Sask

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't the blog world amazing? There's just so much inspiration out there! How fantastic that you own a quilt shop, although I'm sure it can get tough around tax time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle,
    I learned about the blog today when I was at the store and admired your table runner on the wall. I am sure that I am going to enjoy reading it and I will, of course, leave a comment.
    I have a blog site and it is viewed often (or so I hear) but not a lot of comments ever get left. I do get some emails about it.
    I too found the blog world interesting when I started mine - you could surf for hours and read stories. Most of the ones I added to my favorites were about restoring old houses - now I am going to go looking for one about restoring old quilts as I think that is the direction I am headed in.
    Thanks for sharing and I will be looking forward to more updates.
    Bernie Cruikshank
    Aberdeen

    ReplyDelete
  4. so happy to hear from you all! Bernie,I'm going to go look for your blog, byw, i ordered something that for washing antique quilts, supposed to take the yellow away or something. michelle

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Recent topics;