Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Good Morning L.A.!

Yesterday we left Saskatoon quite late in the afternoon, about 5 p.m., since our plane was running late. It had been a while since I sat by the window on an airplane, and I realized that it was sort of fun. We flew to Denver for the connecting flight, and at one point I awoke from a little nap to find that we were traveling over mountainous, snowy Colorado,
I found it quite interesting to see the frozen lakes, and the snow and clouds intermingled with the rocky terrain.

We had a mad rush through the airport to catch our connection, and I had an impression that Denver airport is pretty big. In half an hour we cleared customs, moved baggage, went through security again (long lineup!), went down many stairs, caught a subway shuttle to another concourse, ran through the concourse, finally finding out what gate we were aiming for, and then got to the gate.  They had boarded already, and greeted us by name.  It was quite a big plane!  About 40 rows seating 9 across, and it was full. 
 Sorry for the quality of this photo, but the airplane was moving when I took it.  You can see the windows' reflections.  I liked this airport, what little I saw of it, sine it looked like a whole village of lit-up tee-pees.

It was pretty late when we finally got to L.A. (we went to San Francisco first, and waited there quite a while), and so the streets were pretty quiet on the cab ride in.  It was also dark.  But even so, I felt some excitement at being in this city of angels.  Most of my traveling in the U.S. has been on the east coast in the past several years, and it has a different feeling than here. 
We're staying on the 10th floor of a hotel in Little Tokyo, one of the 16 downtown districts.  When I awoke this morning and moved the drapes aside, I was delighted to see the mountains.  The Sierra Nevadas.  I drove up there one time 25 years ago to the Edwards Air force base to see the second landing of the space shuttle.  That was an amazing experience, as we were all out there waiting and then we heard the big boom as it broke the sound barrier coming in to land.
Anyway, I digress.
Can you see the houses built up into the hills?
This is the view of the street below from the window. 

 Now, it is time to go out and forage. 
 That means finding cappucino.

3 comments:

  1. Did you see me mooning you when you flew over Utah? Hah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you got to your destination safe and sound. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Janet!
    Kim? do you do that a lot? moon airplanes?

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Recent topics;