Pages

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Putting new patterns to use

 I started to machine quilt on my bright quilt that features applique patterns designed by Sue Spargo.  (I suppose I should figure out a shorter way to refer to this quilt. )
 When I was thinking about how to quilt it, it occurred to me that it might be a really good opportunity to try out some of the free motion patterns that I just learned.

 The quilt has several areas that are large enough to do a different pattern in each spot, such as the vertical rectangles that have the dresden plates appliqued over them.
Here are some of the samples, and then where I was able to do them on the quilt:

 I discovered that with this one you have to be careful in those spots where the rounded ends meet each other so that you don't get little pushed together build-ups of fabric.
 pebbles and ripples:  I need to do this one again, with more ripples like in the sample.  It was one of my favorite sample patterns!

In the light pink barbell shaped area I put the arches pattern, although it is a bit hard to see,

 And in these areas,  I had a lot of fun...
 On the blue dotted area I did diagonal wavy lines using the dots as a guide,
  on the green dotted fabric, I put the fern leaf,
 and the light green pattern has the moon paisley design
I am learning a lot with this project, and it is actually quite a lot of fun to fill in different areas with different machine quilting patterns,
 I'm just using a variegated pink and orange 50wt thread, so the patterns aren't really too noticeable unless you really are looking closely at the quilt.  It is pretty densely quilted though, so it will be interesting to see how it looks after washing...
I'm linking up to the TN and TN website today, so thank you in advance if you have come here from that site!!
http://needleandthreadnetwork.blogspot.com/

14 comments:

  1. WOW Michelle- all that quilting! What a big projected with all the samplers!

    Thanks for linking! Love those pretty colors
    ~Monika

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is great! Nice to put all those new stitches into practice too1

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's going to be a very unique quilt after you finish:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I to have used Leah's designs in my quilting .... I just love her site with all those tuts on the different stitch designs .... Have fun stitching your quilt
    in stitches

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an amazing project. What a lot of variety and I can tell you are having fun. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice quilting samples!! I have to get at that....I wish mine looked like yours...lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely work , I really need to start practicing more , your quilting looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a great idea! Your quilting is looking just marvelous! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't done samples like that before, but it sure seems like a great idea and an excellent way to keep track of what you have learned from each... I'll start today, maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the quilt and the samples!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what came to my mind when I say the quilt was "playful"

    ReplyDelete
  12. The advantage and the curse of patterned fabrics: since the quilting doesn't show up too well we dare to try new things, and then can't see them......your quilting is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is true, and I found it to be the case on the next quilt I did as well. I might need to plan a project just to see the quilting part.

      Delete

print friendly

Recent topics;