Sunday, March 11, 2012

Some Mysteries

There are large mysteries, and small.  One thing that perhaps you can assist with is to identify what this mysterious object is:   (I bought it for 2$ yesterday at a flea market)

 Well, I can sort of see what it "is"-- six little cylindrical pots held together in a framework, made of a thick aluminum, I think.  But I am mystified to what it was created for-- what it's use is/was.
 (here is a bit more of my booty from the sale.....
some nice frames, a desk lamp for 5$, and some pleasant flower paintings,.  We also got a nice used piece of furniture made by MacKenzie Childs, but it is still in the back of the truck, waiting for some stronger people to carry it into the house,  so I will photograph it later this week.

Today, I've been very busy quilting again.  Lots of FMQ (Free Motion Quilting) going on around here. 
I had been doing swatches (largely based on Leah Day's FMQ blog-- button on sidebar!), and was then trying those designs on my bright quilt, until I came to the end of my 1000m of pink/orange variegated thread --- that's the empty green spool pictured here.  Yes, there is lots of stitching on that quilt, but I am using the thread in the bobbin as well as on the top, so, really it has 1/2 of a kilometer stitched on it so far.
I was having a good time with this, and was reluctant to have it come to an end.  So, I decided to quilt the double wedding ring quilt that I had pieced Last Year. 
I really couldn't see doing all the centers with the same design, as that would get a bit boring, so I just carried on with my pattern experiments. 
I did an outline of the curves first with the walking foot-- in the ditch.  That way I could remove all the pins and have it pretty well stabilized.  This was also helpful because this quilt top did not lay flat.  Not by a long shot.  With all those curves and odd shapes meeting, the white spots need to be quilted into submission.
It might be that I need to do something in the colored fabric spots as well, but I'll worry about that later.

 these are some of the patterns that I am trying in the white spaces.   It is fun to fit a pattern into these odd shapes-- the little inside pieces that look like footballs, and the larger squarish shapes with concave sides. 
 I did do some practice ideas in my sketchbook.  With those and my little swatches, it isn't too hard to make something different in the shapes as I go along. 
 And this is the back of the quilt so far:
It's going to be another of my quilts that I think of as "finished is better than perfect".  
 I hope you are having a wonderful weekend too!

14 comments:

  1. You have been quite busy, Michelle! Which flea market did you go to? We went to the Savannah Wildlife Refuge this morning and then had a quick stop at Gallery Espresso. Of course, we looked around to see if you were there... Savannah itself was insanely filled with tourists and St. Patrick's day revelers... Hope you are both doing well!! xoxo Silke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - what a lot of designs - I think you should begin a zentangle book and you could carry your designs to a whole different level...

    Love the lamp:) Could the "object" be used as a candle holder - have no idea what else it would be useful for - but as soon as someone says, "this is what it is" we will all sigh and say, "of course!"

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilting on your wedding ring quilt is so beautiful! It's perfect. I was going to guess that your mystery item was a candle mould of some sort...looks sort of votive size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks patti, It does look good from a distance! The item is about the right size for a votive candle, maybe it could be a mold? but I don't know what they make candle molds out of,

      Delete
  4. i wondered if your 'mystery object' could be a little tray for mixing water colours in...and i agree with patti - the quilting is beautiful. i love a quilt that has lots of almost-hidden fun in it and the variety of quilting patterns certainly provides that!
    cheers
    molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Molly, thanks. I think that the tray containers are pretty deep for paints, and the metal is really thick,

      Delete
  5. Is the object not a popover pan ? jean martin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, that seems reasonable, the containers taper out slightly from bottom to top, as if to make it easier to release something, I think this is the best idea so far,

      Delete
  6. Jean is right! They are Yorkshire pudding pans. Bruce found a picture of them in use online and has emailed it to you.
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that's great he found a photo, hooray to Bruce!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he should win .. A 5 week trip to Hawaii!

      Delete
  8. There you go Michelle - who would have thought the "item" was so culturally relevant - a delicious English dinner!! and to think mom simply used muffin trays to make yorkshire pudding. Hope you post the picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she used a cookie sheet with short sides, and then we cut them into squares, do you remember that?

      Delete
    2. Wasn't that a flatbread? It was good because it had salted butter on top which melted into it. The thing with yorkshire pudding is that you need the grease from the roast under the dough which it looks like you might put into those little rings and then the dough above it - it's that "grease" that makes the pudding taste good...before using it for something else I do hope you will use it for preparing an English dinner... I wonder if it needs to be set into a pan of water...

      Delete

print friendly

Recent topics;