Pages

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Fabric book cover

A prettier home office, 

As I was tidying up my sewing room I thought of a project that could make it a little prettier.   the room also functions as my home office since my job is quilting, after all.
 One way that I organize information such as patterns and records and old papers that I need to keep, is in binders.I have a lot of binders.  Even though lately I have only been buying white binders, I thought they could look a little nicer on the shelf. 


When I was in elementary school, one of my favorite activities when school started was covering the textbooks in those brown or white paper book jackets. I don't know when they stopped doing that.  Anyway, I decided I would make pretty fabric book jackets to slip over the binder covers.  
This is a great project if you have lots of fabric that you just like but have no real plan for. Ha ha, who doesn't have that!

In a nutshell, this is how to make a super simple book jacket:
1. Measure the height of your book.  Add half an inch to this, that is how wide you will need your fabric to be.

In the case of this binder which is just over 11-1/2" inches tall, my fabric needs to be just over 12 inches wide.

2.  For the amount to wrap around the book or binder, measure the width of the two covers and the spine. you will need to add 8 inches or so to the amount 

I just wrapped the fabric around it and added the margin to the end.  
Now, my rectangle measures about 12" x 32"

3. Press the fabric.  
Turn back the fabric at each end about 1/4 inch or 3/8" and stitch.

4. At one end of the rectangle, make a pocket by folding back about 3 1/2 inches of the fabric, right sides together and sewing a 1/4" seam on both the too and bottom edges, back stitching at both ends.  
Trim away the little corner with the folded edge. 
Turn the pocket right side out and press.
While you are doing that also press under 1/4" on the long raw edges of the top and bottom,

5. Fit the jacket to the book.  Slide the front cover of the book into the pocket, place it all down flat, pulling the fabric under the binder so there are no wrinkles, and place a pin marker at the top and bottom corner of the binder.  This will mark where you need to turn back the fabric to make the  back pocket.  
You want the jacket to fit the cover pretty tightly so that it doesn't slip around when you use it, but not so tightly that the book won't close.

6.  Take the binder out of the fabric jacket and sew the back pocket in the same way as you sewed the front pocket. Turn it inside out. Topstitch the folded under raw edges, stopping and starting before you hit the edge of the pocket.



7.  Press it all, and then you can slip the binder covers into both pockets and your book jacket is finished! 



Hmm, I wonder how many more I need to make.....

Notes:
After you"ve made a basic cover or two you might want to start adding things to them. For instance, a label on the spine would be very useful.
I think it would be pretty easy to just fuse a rectangle of lighter colored fabric onto it and write with a marker.  Maybe you could stamp the title with rubber stamps.  Or you could get really technologically advanced and print from your computer onto fabric.
Also, other fabrics might work toto, I want to try the heavier cotton we have in the store to make handbags and cushions,

2 comments:

  1. Very nice binder cover. Great minds, I buy all white binders. I use alphabet stickers on paper and put it down the pocket on the spine to label the white binders. I have started buying different colours to differentiate topics. If I ever have a sewing space I just might try a cover in one of my favourite fabrics. Great selection of Kaffe stripes and shot cottons. I had to buy myself a couple of pieces of the shot cottons when I was in. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Linda, I sewed a few more today, they only take about ten minutes each, good idea about the stickers, although I guess they wouldn't stick onto fabric very well,

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Recent topics;